I began following Against All Grain about a year and a half ago when my boyfriend and I started to become really invested in a paleo lifestyle. We rid our cabinets of anything not on the “paleo-friendly” grocery list and spent a good chunk of change on almond flours, ghee, liquid aminos, apple cider vinegars, raw honey, etc. But I kept coming across the same boring, meat heavy meals. I love a good steak but the caveman diet is not only expensive but sometimes flavorless. This cookbook not only offers unique, flavorful paleo dishes but also has gluten-free, dairy-free, and a few vegan recipes. Everything I have made from Against All Grain has been delicious and perfectly seasoned. It is a new take on clean eating. The hardest part of being paleo is that first trip to the grocery store to revamp your kitchen. I’ll admit we are not 100% paleo, 100% of time but it is a philosophy I always have in the back of mind when choosing what to put in my body.
The crock-pot sesame orange chicken from Against All Grain has been our #1 favorite meal in the book so far. It is insanely easy and seriously delicious. I made jasmine rice this time but usually we will make lettuce wraps with Boston or Bibb lettuce.
To make the chicken:
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos (I ran out of coconut aminos and used regular liquid aminos- no difference in taste just be careful if you ass more salt than recipe calls for)
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Garnish- sesame seeds and green onion
- Place chicken thighs in crock pot
- In a small bowl mix coconut aminos, honey, orange juice, tomato paste, sesame oil, garlic, sea salt, and pepper
- Pour sauce over chicken and cook in crockpot on low for 4 hours
- Once finished cooking remove chicken from pot and cut into cubes
- Remove sauce from pot and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Let simmer for 20 minutes until it has reduced by half and is thick and shiny.
- Toss cubed chicken in thickened sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.