Drinking water is one of our 5 simple health tips! It is more vital to our survival than food. With our bodies roughly made up of 70% water, it is imperative to stay properly hydrated. If we don’t, our bodies will not function to the best of its abilities. So, how much water are we supposed to drink per day? It depends on who you talk to. I go by the “drink half of our body weight in ounces a day” rule! So if your 140 pounds you should shoot for drinking 70 ounces of water per day. For all you active individuals, if you’re sweating, you’re losing water. So, add an extra 8 ounces for every half hour you sweat! Besides my daily smoothie, I only drink water and green tea. Yet somehow I still have issues with staying hydrated. This has been a health goal of mine for a long time now, but I have never really been successful for more than a few days. Here are some tips that I have started to follow that have worked well for me so far…
- Before you go to sleep at night, place a glass of water on your bathroom counter. Make drinking that cup of water the first thing you do in your morning routine. Think about it, we sleep for 6-10 hours a night, filling our lungs with dry air. That’s a long time to go without drinking water. It will also help boost your metabolism!
- Always have water handy. Carry a reusable water bottle with you all day, everyday.
- Take a marker and separate your water bottle into sections. Write certain times of the day at each hash mark, so you can visually see if your drinking enough water by a certain hour.
- Spice up your water by adding some flavor! Lemons, limes, blueberries, mint, and basil all add great taste!
- Drink a glass after each trip to the restroom to replenish your fluids.
- Have a glass of water with each meal.
- Set a timer or alarm on your cellphone to remind you to drink water every hour!
- Out drinking with some friends…. Alcohol is a huge dehydrator, so be sure to drink one glass of water in between every glass of wine, beer, or cocktail. (This also helps with hangovers!)